Monday 11 May 2009

The Power Of Prayer

I can’t remember the last time I got down on my knees and prayed at the foot of my bed. It always struck me as quite an anachronistic thing to do, a Catholic thing even, and I have only ever been moved to do it on very rare occasions. But last week I was indeed moved to pray for news from a particular loved-one. Almost as soon as I had done it (I was only on my knees for about 10 seconds), I forgot about it and carried on with my day (I was in Spain at the time). Then later on that day, I heard news. It only occurred to me a couple of hours after I had received the news that I had in fact prayed that morning.

A couple of days later I started reading Love In The Time of Cholera where characters like Florentino Ariza are sometimes moved by the Holy Spirit, or at least believe themselves to be.

No comments: